Keynotes and Workshops During Conference 2022
This post was first published on May 13. If you don’t see your session of interest here, check back over the next few days; the intention is to publish them all right here.
"Don't Dis My Ability" - Accessibility Workshop
- This is a much, much wider subject than it first appears
- Toastmasters can help with many confidence challenges in addition to public speaking
- Talking about these challenges is a leadership opportunity – helping is a mentoring one
Links to the two sessions are below; two completely different sessions that sent similar messages:
May 7th: https://youtu.be/0VNWKsG4dTI
May 8th: https://youtu.be/6AQINAlm2m4
If you’ve listened to this session and are thinking “I do that!” – you now know the key is to speak up. And if you’ve come across this by searching YouTube, then you know your starting point is to Google “Toastmasters” to find a club to visit.
"How To Eat An Elephant" - Podcasting Workshop
A workshop by our passionate podcaster Jan Stroup, VC4 Toastmasters Napier
If you are thinking:
- It is too hard!
- Don’t you need mad computer skills?
- I can’t afford it.
- What has it got to do with Toastmasters?
- I don’t have any recording equipment.
- Doesn’t it take a lot of time?
- I’m quite happy just making speeches to my club.
- It is not required to complete my pathway.
- I don’t know how to begin!
After this session, you may change that to:
- I can do this!
- This might not be as hard as I thought
- I can use the equipment I have now, at least to get started.
- This uses all the skills I’ve learned in Toastmasters?
- I have a phone and it has a microphone and speaker – that will do.
- I can start with the time I have and work up from there?
- Maybe I can expand my comfort zone.
- It might just be fun and help in the day job.
- I now know how to begin!
May 7th: https://youtu.be/Y4gnsIHjj3E
“A journey or a thousand podcasts begins with a single sentence” – with apologies to Mao Tse-Tang
"Speech As A Sense" - Jon Hunter
Every time you speak you face a choice: you can be in presentation mode or you can be present. What if we could use the voice – as if it were a sense (like sight, hearing, smell etc.) – as a means to discover and literally make sense of the world around us?
Yes, you can!
“I don’t paint to convey the scene – I paint to convey the sensation of being there” – Frances Hodgson. She was a good speaker, as well.
"Life, Unlimited" - Korrin Barrett
Winston Churchill inveigled the British people to “Never, ever, ever give up”. Korrin embodies the motivation behind this.
"Confidence with the Camera" - by Walter Neilands
This is for everyone who sits in Zoom sessions with the camera off – or never got round to doing the legacy “Communicating on Video” manual. Walter reckons anyone can learn to look confident and professional on camera. This is a practical session for those sick of the camera showing off your bald patch or pointing up your left nostril!