What can Toastmasters do for you?
Toastmasters will give you the skills and confidence you need to effectively express yourself in any situation. Employers are well aware of the value of Toastmasters experience on a resume.
By learning to effectively formulate and express your ideas, the confidence it gives you opens a whole new world of possibilities.
You will become more persuasive and confident when giving presentations, and you will improve your one-on-one contacts with others.
Leadership is the art of empowering others to achieve what you need to have done. You will learn to communicate with others so they understand and achieve the teams goals.
In a Toastmasters club, you will do both.
You will find out how to vary your approach to suit the needs of different people, whether they are the audience for a presentation, the committee for a fundraiser, co-workers or managers.
Membership of Toastmasters provides these benefits…
- A unique means of learning and improving your communication and public speaking abilities within a supportive and motivational atmosphere of growth, fellowship and fun with your fellow Toastmasters club members.
- Access to professionally prepared educational materials and resources on:
public speaking, communication and leadership.
- Experience in leadership development through training, involvement and activities.
- Unlimited opportunities for personal and professional advancement based on improved abilities and expanded experience.
- The Toastmaster magazine – every month the Toastmaster provides new insights on communication techniques, ideas and opinions.
- Continuing development of proven communication techniques.
- Increased confidence in your abilities and communication skills.
- Gain the ability to organise your thoughts logically and present them with confidence.
- Better understanding of interpersonal relationships.
- Affiliation with an internationally renowned educational organisation.
How Does It Work?
Self-Paced, with Support
The environment we provide is friendly and supportive, and the self-paced programme allows you to build confidence with each speaking assignment.
You develop and practice your skills through delivering prepared speeches, filling meeting roles and/or participating in impromptu speaking sessions.
Constructive evaluation is the heart of the Toastmasters programme. Each time you practice your communication skills you will receive written, verbal and informal feedback which will point out strengths you demonstrate and suggest areas where you can continue to develop and improve your skills.
How Do I Join Toastmasters?
There are over 160 clubs to choose from in New Zealand’s District 112, each uses the same Toastmasters format, but with its own unique personality.
- We recommend you check out the Toastmasters Club Finder HERE and visit several clubs in your area to which suits you
- When you find one you are comfortable with, just complete a membership application, pay a once-only joining fee plus up to six months membership (fees differ for each club dependant on club overheads. Averages $7 to $10 a meeting).
- Shortly afterwards you will receive your New Member notification via email. Congratulations, you’re now a member of your chosen Toastmasters club, andon your way to an exciting period of learning and personal development!
What Happens When I Join A Club?
A lot of learning and fun happens within your own Toastmasters club! A typical club is made up of 15 – 25 people who meet on a regular basis for between one to two hours.
The meetings are run in a structured way, ensuring everyone gets an opportunity to stand up and speak. You will be advised of your speaking assignment well in advance, allowing you plenty of time to prepare. As a visitor you would not be expected to speak but you may if you wish.
Speaking assignments are varied – They range from chairing the meeting, facilitating a Table Topics session, offering a point of view, evaluating other speakers, all the way to delivering full speeches of 7 minutes or more on the topic of your choice with clearly defined objectives to meet.
Importantly, whenever you stand up and speak, you receive encouraging, helpful feedback on how well you went and what you can improve, through formal evaluations.
When you’re ready, opportunities to take on leadership and mentoring roles will present themselves, allowing you to further develop your personal skill set.
Many members believe these opportunities are the most valuable way to enhance their already developing skills and learning experience.
When you apply yourself, you will be amazed at how quickly your communication and leadership skills improve.
How Do I Find A Club?
Click HERE for Club Finder, in the top left side enter your location and clubs with your chosen distance will appear on the map, with a list down the left hand column